Running And Walking Injuries
What can cause Running/Walking pain?
Overuse of tendons, wearing inappropriate footwear during exercise, poor flexibility, poor biomechanics and/or sudden increased intensity of exercise can result in injury in your knee pain.
What can help with injuries?
- Rest and avoid strenuous exercise. As you improve, you can return to exercise gradually.
- Cold compress (ice pack) will help to decrease swelling and control the pain.
- Knee compression and/or bracing using can also minimize pain and aid in reducing the inflammation and strain on the knee structures.
- Elevate the injured area above the heart while sitting.
- For prevention, make sure you stretch before and after exercise.
- Short term use of anti-inflammatory drugs can be helpful to decrease the pain.
- New footwear with adequate support for you and the intended activity.
What are the common treatments for running and walking injuries?
- Full assessment to determine what the running/walking pain is caused by and give you the best treatment plan based on that!
- A program for stretching and strengthening
- Footwear advice
- Orthotics to improve the way you walk/run to relieve strain on the structures that are being overloaded and allow it to heal or not become sore.
- The Best treatment is prevention
How can I get more help?
Book an appointment by calling (07) 5443 6761 or clicking here to book online to see a podiatrist.